Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Wonder of Joseph

Joseph never ceases to amaze me in his ability to connect with the universe. Sometimes allowing him to wander free, without a schedule can lead to an experience of the spirit.

I sat on a swing set watching my son wander the yard. At the edge of the yard was a line of tall grasses, thistles and overgrowth. He stood at its edge, collecting bugs and storing them in his hand. The process took a long time as I watched from afar, trying not to intercede and demand he not touch bugs. I noticed the insect of choice of the day was a metallic beetle with blue/green/black wings. He must have collected over 40 of them, taking his time to hold them carefully in one hand, while plucking with the other. Attention is never Joseph’s strong point, so I sat in wonder how he was so intent, happy in his task.

No longer able to store more, Joseph held them cupped in both hands. With one motion, he tossed them into the air, like confetti. The affect was amazing. The beetles, sparkling metallic blue green and black fluttered in the air above his head. Joseph gazed up in wonder, connected to his surroundings. I saw a look of pride at his created spirit-art. Time stopped for us both while the beetles, looking like pixie dust, twinkled and hovered before their dispersal.

I marveled at my son and realized that with all his struggles and torments he fights on a daily basis, he still is capable of finding moments of wonder. Removed from the fear of touching insects (as most fears escape him) he is able to do things that none other can do. He truly DOES have a spiritual side. Joseph quietly (nonverbally) reminds those around him to slow down and connect with what is around us. Many who work with Joseph say he has touched their lives in a positive way - a spiritual way. I am blessed to have this wonderful boy be part of my life.

I wait for his next lesson to me.


1 comment:

Day said...

Joseph, the 'boy from the stars', has somehow touched my life!

From his quiet wonder to intense rage, he describes this world in ways I often fail to express!

To share such a moment with him, despite our distant unfamiliarity, warms my heart.

My sympathy, affection, and respect for this seemingly 'otherworldly' child is built from the love, dedication and beautiful sentiments of his mother!

Jeanette, and Joseph...

You are an inspiration to me!